Word of the Day

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Segundo, récemment vu

There ought to be a name for that word that keeps creeping up after you hear it for the first time, or hear it again after a very long time. What prompted this thinking was the Portuguese word segundo, ordinal number meaning second but also preposition meaning according to. What do the two concepts have in common that they are given the same name? As far as I know, only Italian has one single word for these two things: secondo. Even our Spanish cousins have two words: segundo (number) and según (preposition). Does that mean that Portuguese and Italian speakers, when reporting somebody else's words, are second in spreading it? There must be an explanation. I have spent innumerable sleepless nights thinking about this, and so far no plausible explanation has shaken me and slapped me on the face saying "It's right in front of you, you moron". Anybody got any idea?

Oh, yes, going back to the word, I suggest récemment vu (recently seen). We already have déjà vu (already seen) and I've even heard déjà entendu (already heard), déjà mangé (already eaten) and déjà bu (already drunk). Here's the word in play:
Funny you should say that word. These récemment vus never cease to amaze me, I wonder if I should see a shrink or pay more attention to the world around me.

I think that works!

Oh, and I haven't said why I mentioned segundo earlier in this post. I'd been meaning to write something about it for days and didn't get to it until finally today I heard the word three times with the according to sense and decided I should stop stalling and get down to work.

No comments: