Word of the Day

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Czech mimo

Today I saw for the first time in my life the preposition mimo followed by the genitive: mimo hostů hotelu instead of mimo hosty hotelu, except the hotel's guests; and mimo vozidel instead of mimo vozidla, except vehicles. I thought a confusion could have arisen with the preposition kromě, which means the same thing as mimo in many cases, but is followed by the genitive. When I came home, I checked my Slovník spisovné češtiny and there it was: mimo + fourth case (i.e., accusative) and I also found this site that confirms what I had learned. None of the first 50 occurrences of mimo in the Český národní korpus, which I highly recommend, shows that preposition with the genitive. Unfortunately I don't have access to more hits because they restrict the number of hits to non-paying users.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SE: é vero... talvez hipercorreção apenas não justifique... vá saber. Acabamos nos desviando do que realmente importa - por que há tantas mortes violentas?

MIMO: não conhecia essa palavra - nem com o caso certo nem com o errado - mmm... talvez seja regionalismo, se for na Morávia, tente comparar com eslovaco ou polaco ... algo assim...

o/