Word of the Day

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Plural singulars

It's quite common to see Latin plurals used in English as if they were singular, also considering that any English dictionary will tell you it's a plural, not singular word. The word I've just seen is:

OK, that’s not truly the definition, but it is a fairly accurate description of what’s going on. Your RAS actually filters out the repetitive stimuli to prevent overload, but once something stands out for whatever reason, it overrides the RAS so you notice that particular stimuli all the time. It was always there, now it gets through the filters.

It should be that particular stimulus or those particular stimuli.

Which reminds me of a similar construction I see on a translators' website of which I'm a member. It says
Criteria that matches the user's profile is shown in blue instead of Criteria that match the user's profile are shown in blue.

I've sent them an e-mail with the correction. Let's see whether I'll find the corrected version next time I submit I quote.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isso que dá roubar ('borrow' é um baita dum eufemismo) palavras alheias sem entendê-las.

Eu não me lembro de ter ouvido nem quebrante nem quebranto

É, acho que já vi outros -lhe nesses casos. Mas eu alguns o uso estava certo, eu acho. Mmm...

Anonymous said...

Sobre a palavra nossa de cada dia: eu tenho a impressão, talvez equivocada, que a maioria delas são apenas helenismos e latinismos - algumas soariam comuns (talvez com significado diferente) para nós, novilatinoparlantes, outras principalmente as gregas, também não seriam entendidas pela maioria dos brasileiros ...

... mmm...